Martinic Palace - Hradčanské Square 8/67, Hradčany
Hradčanské Square 8/67, Hradčany
One of the most beautiful late Renaissance palaces in Prague was built in two stages from 1680´s till 1730´s by an expansion and reconstruction of an older palace-type house, which was built there after 1541 in place of four Gothic townhouses. Until the end of 18th century the house had been owned by Bořita of Martinice family, other owners turned the building into flats and workshops and the building has been spoilt by many adaptations. The main façade of the four-wing two-storey building is dominated by a trio of Renaissance volute gables, people who walk by will notice the large sgraffito decorations with Biblical and mythological scenes on the façade and in the courtyard.
Inside the palace precious wall paintings and painted joist ceilings were preserved in most rooms. They are in such a good condition thanks to a provision of Joseph II who ordered all joist ceilings to be underlaid by reed and plastered due to frequent fire incidents. The overall reconstruction in 1967-73 was commissioned by the Main Architect of the City of Prague Office with the aim to recover the Renaissance look of the palace; in 1990´s the main façade was renovated too.